Monday, September 24, 2018

Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte


Keralie Corrington appears to be harmless at first glance, but little does everyone know she's actually one of the best thieves in all of Quadara.

One evening while Keralie is thieving, she steals a package from Varin and in turn, putting his life in danger. When he shows up to get the package back, they end up in a massive conspiracy that leaves all four queens of Quadara dead.

On the run from Keralie's former boss, Keralie and Varin team up to uncover who exactly is behind the murders while simultaneously trying to save their own lives as well.

Naturally, being in danger brings them close together and they develop and relationship. In order to proceed, they have to overcome secrets they've hidden for some time. 

Title: Four Dead Queens
Author: Astrid Scholte
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons
Genres: YA, fantasy
Pages: 408
Release Date: February 26, 2019
Rating: 5/5
Source: Paperback ARC via Bookishfirst

This book is truly a gem. I had no idea what I was going into when I started reading, but before I knew it I was drawn in and then all of the sudden it was 8:30am and well past my bedtime.

The story is told between alternating viewpoints of the queens and Keralie. Sometimes that can be confusing for readers but I promise you, everything flows together flawlessly.

I really enjoyed Scholte's characters. Keralie was brash and defiant so she takes some getting used to, but if you keep turning the pages you'll see you'll be rooting for her in no time. All of the villains are fleshed-out, even giving backstory and making you feel bad for him a time or two. Sort of gave me a complex, so I was super relieved when I found I enjoyed the blossoming relationship between Keralie and Varin.
Now...onto the romance. It has just the perfect amount. I'm not one who loves my books to have a ton of mushy and in your face romance.

I love how suspenseful and well-thought out the plot is. Add in the snarky humor, romance, unique characters with a few plot twists and I think you have my favorite book of the last half of 2018!

I saw on Goodreads where Scholte says FOUR DEAD QUEENS is a standalone, but that there may be some potential to revisit the world of Quadara. I wouldn't mind seeing more from the different quadrants!

 I received an advance reading copy via Bookish first for my honest opinion. All opinions herein are of my own and are not swayed by any outside factors.

No comments:

Comente ~