Sunday, December 23, 2018

Mythicals by Dennis Meredith




This was a pretty unique book. I feel like I've been picking a lot of those up recently and I am not disappointed at all. This was definitely a fresh breath of air from reading what's considered "popular."

Blurb
What if fairies, pixies, vampires, werewolves and ogres weren’t just legends—but real-life creatures living in disguise among the natives! And what if they decided those natives were ruining their planet’s ecology, and should be driven extinct?
In this riveting scifi/fairy tale, our hero joins with fairies, pixies, and other sympathizers in a fight to save the planet from the Mythicals, as well as the mysterious alien group called the Pilgrims, who have their own nefarious plans for the future of the world.
MYTHICALS is a rousing sci-fi fantasy where mythological and fairy tale creatures are not only real; they’re on a mission to make the planet their own.


Review:
Unique, intriguing, spell-binding. These are the first three words that come to mind when I started writing this review. I'd say they pretty much cover my feelings on MYTHICALS. Meredith has such a big imagination and that is what brought this amazing story to life. It's unlike anything I've ever read before and I appreciate the fact that I've gotten the chance to read it.

A thing I really enjoyed was the fact that the cast was so diverse. There's humans, fairies, pixies, trolls, vampires, even Bigfoot was included in this. They all have distinct voices and mannerisms and I adore how well thought out each individual species was.

Another thing I loved was the fact that the romance between Jack, our main character, and Sam, a pixie wasn't rushed or the main plot of the story. It's something that enhanced the book, not something that managed to overtake the actual plot which I think is a great quality to have in a writer.

A third thing I have to bring up is the fact that Meredith challenges us in his upcoming book. It weirdly parallels how we live and view different cultures even if it is about mythical creatures. A lot of tough issues are tackled like sexuality, global warming, politics among other topics heavily debated.

Don't expect a PG book if you're picking this one up either. It's for people with a sense of humor who can laugh at crude jokes and take minor explicit scenes with a grain of salt. None of it was overly explicit but it's definitely not a book for children.

No comments:

Comente ~