Monday, August 6, 2018

The Graces by Laure Eve


"Everyone said the Graces were witches.

They moved through the corridors like sleek fish, ripples in their wake. Stares followed their backs and their hair.

They had friends, but they were just distractions. They were waiting for someone different.

All I had to do was show them that person was me.

They moved through the corridors like sleek fish, ripples in their wake. Stares followed their backs and their hair.
They had friends, but they were just distractions. They were waiting for someone different.
All I had to do was show them that person was me.


Like everyone else in her town
, River is obsessed with the Graces, attracted by their glamour and apparent ability to weave magic. But are they really what they seem? And are they more dangerous than they let on?
This beautifully-written thriller will grip you from its very first page."


Y'all...I have very conflicting views on this book.

 I was put off initially because of the main character, River. She was super creepy right off the bat with her obsession with the Graces. I'm aware this is marketed as a YA novel, but I'm super annoyed at how immature the main cast of characters are. I feel like Eve tried too hard to portray the cliche teenager role in this book. Everything was over the top and over dramatic that I swear I rolled my eyes every other page.

The characters are horrible. River is a god-awful main character, and the family she's obsessed with is just as bad.
The only person I liked in this whole story was Wolf. He's mainly the reason why I'll be picking up the second book!
There were a few positives to this book that I won't fail to mention. I really liked the world-building. There are beaches and coves which really set the mood for me. I love beach towns in books!

I appreciate the way the book is illustrated. Purple writing with an easy to read font with beautiful chapter headers. So for what the story lacks, it's made up by the beauty of the book.

I feel as if the book did pick up the pace at the end, enough to spark my curiosity to pick up the sequel to this. I'll have to see if my library has it on my next trip there. 

No comments:

Comente ~