Saturday, December 29, 2018

Watching You by Lisa Jewell

Watching You by Lisa Jewell is chalk-full of suspense and has a twist at every turn. No one in Melville Heights is 100% who they say they are and they all have their own fair share of secrets that are hell-bent on getting out one way or the other.
I haven't read any of her other novels but I think I need to remedy that, and quick!

Joey, one of the central main characters, has just arrived in Melville Heights to stay with her brother and his wife until her and Alfie, her hubby she brought back from living abroad in Ibiza, can get on their own two feet.

Joey's felt like she's been lacking something her whole life but when she meets her next door neighbor who seems perfect to her in every way, her life gets twisted in ways she never could have imagined.

There are quite a few elements to this novel I like. The first being how perfect everything looks in the character's lives until slowly the facade begins to crack with every turn of the page. It's slow and methodical and Jewell really knows how to get us in the grips of suspense. The short chapters added to my ability to keep turning the pages, each chapter a slight cliff-hanger leaving me wanting more and more.

A second thing I liked was how the novel is told. Alternating voices between a decent amount of characters while somehow managing to give them all their own stories and flesh them out so they don't seem hollow is amazing to me. In 324 pages Jewell managed to give me everything I didn't even know I wanted in a novel all wrapped up in a bow. The incorporation of police transcripts of interviews done with some of the characters are thrown in sporadically was well-executed and I thought they were a good addition to the novel. This is a novel that switches between the present and the past but I promise it's not hard to follow in the least.

You can buy the book here!

 


No comments:

Comente ~