Friday, January 4, 2019

Man-Eaters #1 by Chelsea Cain

Hey, everyone! I re-joined Edelweiss yesterday and immediately downloaded some comic books! My goal is to read at least 100 books this year so I have to include some shorter formats or I'd never be able to achieve it. Way to hack the system, Sabrina. Lol!

My first comic of the year is Man-Eaters #1 by Chelsea Cain. If you have a cat you probably know about Toxoplasmosis. If not, you can read about it here. Most everyone in the comic book has the mutation, but men are (mostly) immune. The women on the other hand, turn into man-eating panthers and kill or slightly maim whoever they're around.
Our main character is a 12 year old girl who has decided against drinking the water that government officials have dosed with estrogen-blockers.
Due to females turning into lethal killers, women and men are inherently separated from one another. Boys are shown that having testosterone is good but women are scary and terrifying because their periods have the potential to star them in the next horror film if they decide to get too close.

I have to add a few finer points about this book. The colors popped so well and the art style is honestly incredible. It's such a fresh story subject and unlike anything I've ever read before I can't wait for the next issue.

I really enjoyed the light it spread on the stigma of periods while at the same time giving us a hilarious story to read. It's a very unapologetic feminist book that made me laugh more than a few times. Odd, but I'm impressed!

No comments:

Comente ~