Sunday, January 20, 2019

The Initiation by Chris Babu

I've been slowly delving into the world of dystopia. I got comfortable reading YA and thrillers I've rarely picked up other genres unless I was super interested in them.
I was approached to review The Initiation as well as its sequel, The Expedition. It seemed sort of like The Hunger Games so I decided to give the books a try!
I enjoyed it.

The Initiation follows a group of teenagers who enter a competition to better the lives of themselves and potentially their families by moving out of the Dorms.
They all have to band together to pass tests any normal person wouldn't be able to pass. In order to advance they use their wit and their strengths.
We encounter brain-teasers and heart-pumping, action-packed bravery challenges that would make even the cockiest person whimper in fear.

It is very The Hunger Games-esque but Babu writes in a way that is a refreshing take on the trope. My only problem was the fact that is was super slow in the beginning but it sped along when the teenagers finally got to start the Initiation. The last 100 pages I sped through because I absolutely had to know what was happening.

Two rather sad things happen within these pages and one event had me fist-pumping the air screaming, "FINALLYYYYYYYY."

The Initiation is guaranteed to get your adrenaline pumping. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments:

Comente ~