Friday, January 25, 2019

The Expedition (The Initiation #2) by Chris Babu




The Expedition (The Initiation #2) by Chris Babu

The Good:

- I really like the characters of this book. They're all unique in their own way and they have their strengths and weaknesses as well. In order to survive, they all have to work together. Where one falls short with their weaknesses, another picks up with their strengths. It really creates a bond between the groups that gradually grows on you.

-I read The Initiation and The Expedition back to back so I didn't need much of a recap but it was there for others who may not have read the first book. I'd say it's much easier to make sense of the second one if you know everything that happened in the first, but from Babu's recapping it's not completely necessary. I do recommend the first book, though. It's amazing!

-The group centers around teenagers who are just now getting a feel of the real world. There's love, betrayal, confusion, loss, gains. The story feels fleshed out due to this. The way the characters are exploring their world along with their newfound feelings on love and relationships makes it a great read. You can really connect with the characters because you can look back on when you were just starting out with a relationship and can recognize some of the errors you may have faced as well.

-The scenery! The kids are exploring a brand new world outside of their cut off civilization. The world-building is amazing due to the fact that some 90% of the population has died. Babu writes that the world is lush with greenery and animals you normally wouldn't find in a bustling city roaming around on highways due to Mother Nature's regrowth.

-There's so much humor within the story! Seeing as this is a group of teenagers embarked on a seemingly impossible mission, they rise above and beyond while still maintaining their sanity while they're at it. The bickering and short one liners are what make the story.

-There's a plot twist! I live for those, and I'm excited to see what pans out in the next book! Threw me for the biggest loop.

The Bad:

- I really wanted to yell at Drayden and tell him to stop being so MEHHHH. He aggravated me with all of his internal struggling. I wanted to shake him and tell him who he is and what he's capable of. He went back and forth between who he wants to be and who he really is so bad it started grating on my nerves. I understand that becoming who you are and getting there is a challenge and Babu really showed the internal struggle a lot of people have. So it's not a negative per se, but I needed Drayden to know he doesn't have to be anyone other than himself because he is enough.

No comments:

Comente ~